As we near the end of this course, I am reflecting on the progress that is taking and has taken place. It's now Week 6 in this class and it's Week 12 of 15 in my regular face to face classes. At the end of this term (August 31) I am officially on "early retirement" from my day job. In an effort to "cost cut", the university that I work for gave me the option of "retiring". In return, they've made me a Professor Emeritus. Sounds pretty good! However, I looked it up on Wikipedia and it says "a professor who is retired and in good standing". It sounds much better than it really is.
At any rate, my days as the "sage on the stage" are winding down. That's probably just as well. I don't seem to have the enthusiasm for standing in front of a class anymore. However, far from being ready to retire, this online world has given me new life. I look forward to participating in this rapidly expanding methodology and am excited about what the future holds and what I can create. I've already begun to experiment with new teaching tactics and am putting together a proposal for continuing education courses online.
I realize that I have a great deal to learn but I'm invigorated by that. Rather than finding a rocking chair to while away my days, I'm looking at buying a new computer. I just bought a copy of Adobe e-Learning Suite and am eager to create new courses. I'm even thinking about getting an iPhone. I've got a lot of catching up to do and the digital natives are way ahead of me.
I've thoroughly enjoyed the learning... Thanks to all!
Hoop in LA
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Paul,
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear starting your early retirement that you are facing technology head-on with the Adobe e-learning Suite! I'm working with Adobe Macromedia Flash and it's pretty interesting. I hope that you are successful with your new online courses.
Take care,
Glenn
Hoop - I'm impressed that you've taken the step of purchasing the Adobe elearning suite. I'm getting to "out to pasture" age but definitely am not ready to go there. It's great that you have created this new opportunity for yourself. Don't worry about the digital natives - the nice thing is that they're so willing to share what they know.
ReplyDeleteFran
Hoop - Good luck as you transition to this next stage of your life. Some friends of mine refer to this as "Repurposing" not retiring. You are well on your way to your new purpose by taking this course. Ruth in WI
ReplyDelete